I found this recipe on Pinterest and had the time and the right ingredients to try it. One of my kids likes mushrooms and loves mashed potatoes, so I knew if I could get the sauce right, I’d have a hit on my hands.
1. First, I knew I had a whole head of cauliflower in the fridge that needed to be used, so I steamed up the cauliflower and boiled a couple potatoes to make a quick mashed potato/mashed cauliflower mix. The kids rarely squawk at the difference anymore and it’s a great way to mix in some veggies to our recipes.
2. I found most of my ingredients for the recipe and threw them on the counter so I could get to them quickly and easily while I had the stove lit.
3. I found this recipe on Pinterest but it’s from elavegan.com…thank you elavegan for the cool recipe.
4. Mushrooms for the recipe- I didn’t have any fresh mushrooms and didn’t want to run to the store again, so I grabbed some of my dried mushrooms and threw them into some warm water to rehydrate. This works. But if you leave them soaking too long like I did, things go wrong.
5. So you can find the recipe on the elavegan.com site, I’m not going through the whole thing on here again. Needless to say, I followed the recipe the best I could and had all of the ingredients.
So the sauce thickened as it simmered and the mashed potatoes/cauliflower came out perfectly. My wife got home from her late night work week and we served a healthy fresh dinner for the family. The SAUCE for the recipe was yummy and the veggies great…but my MUSHROOMS were horrible. I’m not sure what I did wrong with them but I think I soaked them too long. The mushrooms were like leather and took down the entire dish all at once. Although the fam was nice about it, I knew this dish was a FLOP. But not because of the recipe or the tastes associated, but with my own preparation and cooking. Woops, back to the drawing board.
So if you wanna prepare this recipe, the only I would change in the future is to add fresh mushrooms instead of the dried mushies I tried to use. Did you read our roadtrip story from Saturday? Have a great week.